sked

sked

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Old Oaks

We felled these two Oaks on Tuesday as they were becoming unsafe, they produced quite a haul of timber, sadly not all mine, the bulk of it was for a School so the children could sit on in a wildlife area so it was transported in lumps and ringed up on site, some went for firewood and I managed to keep a bit for myself. I am thinking of getting a chainsaw mill as it would have been perfect to plank into boards, very nice old timber, we counted over a hundred and sixty rings.
Had some tractor fun aswell loading the timber onto the truck :)






6 comments:

  1. For what you need, I would suggest an Alaskan sawmill by Granberg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Gorges I've just looked them up, they look good, just what I am after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with a circle-sawmill in the family, so I just cringe to see good logs (or even "bad" ones) go to waste. In your line of work, you should soon start accumulating some nice boards for use and for sale. Just be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gorges, I know what you mean about wood going to waste, at least the kids will enjoy their seats for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a good haul Simon, was it Ganoderma at the base? I bet there were plenty interested in that wood :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One had Gano the other one we think had been hit by lightening years ago, there was no bark from the base up to about 15ft on one side, no chance of compartmentalization, the crown had quite a big tear out where it was hit which caused alot of decayed wood and holes right through the scafold limbs, a bloody squirel came running out when I was cutting into the thing dont know who was more scared me or him! haha he jumped out at about 25ft up rather him than me!.

    ReplyDelete